Keep these fun facts and
tips handy for your next sea turtle encounter:
- Not crocodile tears, turtle tears! Mother turtles are often
observed weeping during the nesting period. Scientists believe
female sea turtles cry as a way to secrete salt from their bodies.
- Of all the marine turtles, Green sea turtles are the only herbivores.
- Leatherbacks do not posses a hard top shell; instead, firm leathery
skin covers loose-locking bones.
- A green-colored alga consumed by sea turtles causes its fat to
turn the same color, hence the name Green sea turtle.
- Loggerhead turtles are the most common species of sea turtles
found in Florida. Loggerheads get their name from the large, block-like
shape of their heads.
- Sea Turtles are toothless animals. Instead they use powerful
beak-like jaws to crush, bite and tear food.
- Not just your everyday cleaning utensil, ocean sponges are the
preferred source of nutrition for the Hawksbill sea turtle.
- Rancho Nuevo beach (Mexico) is the only major
nesting site in the world for the Kemp’s Ridley sea turtle.
Because this species tends to nest at the same time, baby turtles
emerge from the sand in unison. This mass nesting and hatching
event is known as arriba the Spanish word for arrival.
Resources for this article
have been provided by the Caribbean
Conservation Corporation and Sea Turtle League, Wikipedia and
the Florida Fish
and Wildlife Conservation Commission.